Nellore also known as Vikrama Simhapuri. Nellore is famous for Rice and Aqua culture. There are many places of Historical importance in Nellore, the Ranganayakula Temple on the bank of the river Penna, the Udayagiri fort, the Narasimha Konda, Penchala kona, Venkatagiri fort, Mypadu beach,famous rocket launching centre at Sriharikota,the Krishnapatnam port, Nelapattu etc. Vikramsimha Mahavir, Manumasiddhi Maharaj ruled this Nellore town, with Simhapuri as its capital. One of the writers of Mahabharatha in telugu,'Kavi Brahma','Ubhaya Kavimithrudu' writer kavi thikkanna, worked as prime minister and Khadga Thikkanna as Defence minister. During this period this state flourished with highest paddy yield. That is why it is called "nelli" an equivalent word for paddy in tamil. In course of time the name Nellivur is changed to NELLORE, as was written in sthala puranam and history. Nellore was the only Education Centre in Andhra Pradesh during the British rule.
This area is rich in particular kind of flint called quartzite, out of which prehistoric man made his weapons and implements. With the rise of the Mauryan Empire, nellore also seems to have come under its influence and was part of the Ashokan empire in the third century B.C. The district was next included in the Pallava dominion between the fourth and sixth centuries A.D.With the dawn of the seventh century, the political centre of Gravity of the Pallavas shifted to the south and weakened their power, the north. During the British period, the district tasted the blessings of settled peace, the only event of any political importance being the sequestration in 1838, of the Jagir of Udaygiri, owing to its title holder's participation in a conspiracy, engineered by the Nawab of Kurnool, against the ruling power. After the district came under the british administration the jurisdiction of the district did not undergo any major changes, but for the transfer of Ongole taluk in 1904 to guntur district when it was newly constituted.
This District has Historical importance. This place was under the rule of Satavahanas, Cholas, Pallavas, Telugu Chodas, Kakatiyas, Vijayanagara kings, Golkonda Nawabs and Britishers. Nellore Town is also called as Vikrama Simhapuri. This was under the rule of Manuma Siddhi in the 13th century. During this period Thikkana Somayagi was the Minister in the Royal court. He completed 15 cantos of Maha Bharat started by Nanaiah. Thikkana who hails from this district first wrote Nirvachanothara Ramayanam.
Forest area is only 18% of the total district area. Social forestry drive is in progress in many parts of the district. Pulicat Lake declared as the Birds Sanctuary with an area of 500 Sq.km, housing many rare birds. Tigers and Cheetahs Sanctuary near Velugonda are the efforts made by the Government in maintaining the Eco-Systems. Rice from this part is said to be the finest and of Top quality. Nippo - Batteries an Indo-Japanese collaboration plant is a major industry. Paddy Business is high in this district. Fisheries are fruitful because of the Coastline it's having and the Pulicat Lake.