West Godavari, the boundaries of this district are East Godavari district in the East and North, Krishna district and Bay of Bengal in the South and Krishna and Khammam districts in the West directions.Andhra Sathavahanas, Chalukyans, Vijayanagara kings, Nizam Nawabs and Britishers ruled over this Place. In the olden days this place used to be a part of Vengi Country. It is said that Pedavegi near Eluru was the capital of Vengi Country. This district was formed in 1925.
Eluru is the headquarters of West Godavari district. The main attractions of the town are the temples of Janardhana and Jalapaharesvara. There are also relics of an ancient fort.
Forest area occupies only 11% of the total district area. Natural Gas was found in near Narasapuram region and the exploration is in progress with the ONGC looking for the presence of the Crude Oil. Andhra Sugar Factory at Tanuku though a private establishment is coined as the major industry in the district. Andhra Pradesh Straw Boards Limited at Bheemavaram is one based on the forest Products. Incandescent or Agarbathi Industry is the major industry showing employment to thousands of families. Sri Ambica Durbar Agarbathi of Eluru is famous world wide. Coir and Carpets industry are flourishing with surplus stock of Coconut Coir.
Eluru (also called Helapuri) was a part of the Buddhist kingdom of Vengi. The Eastern Chalukyas ruled coastal Andhra from 700 to 1200, with Vengi,near the village of Pedavegi, as their capital. Historical evidences are found at the villages of Pedavegi and Guntupalli (Jilakarragudem). Eluru then became a part of the Kalinga Empire until 1471. Later it fell into the hands of the Gajapathis. In 1515 Srikrishnadevaraya captured it. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Kingdom, it was taken by the Sultan of Golkonda, Kutub Shah. In the year 1925, West Godavari District was formed with Eluru as its Headquarters and all the district offices and regional offices were set up in Eluru town.
Dhavaleswaram Barrage on River Godavari near Rajahmudry is a major irrigation source to the lands. Electric supply to this district is mainly from Machkand hydro power project and Natural gas power plant at Vijjeswaram in East Godavari district. All Degree Colleges are affiliated to Andhra University - Vishakapatnam.
Dwaraka Tirumal (39 km): This famous pilgrim is located at the top of the hill, with a part of the temple carved out of the hill. The temple carved out of the hill. The temple has an impressive five-storyed gopuram at the main entrance. Its Annual Festival is in April - May.
Kolleru Pelicanry and Birds Sanctuary (20 km): This large bird sanctuary extends over 900 sq km of wetland and marshes Surrounding the Kolleru Lake, between the Krishna and Godavari deltas. Pelicans arrive here during the nesting season to raise their young. Winter is a time of great activity, and the babble of these birds can be heard a quarter of a mile away. Apart from pelicans, grey herons, white ibis, pond herons, egrets and many migratory duck and water birds can be seen here.
Natta Rameswaram: An important pilgrim centre, the Rameswara Temple here has a lingam made of shells and conches. Thousand of devotees congregate here on Mahasivaratri day to take a dip in the Gosthani River.
Pattisam: Pattisam is a pilgrim centre in the picturesque Devakutaparavatam Hills. The Saivite and vaishnative shrines here are of gerat religious importance. Pattisam, created by the Gautami River, ia also a picnic site.