Krishna district was one of the oldest British administrated areas of Andhra Pradesh. It was formerly called Masulapatnam district and in 1859 when the then Guntur district was abolished, certain taluks thereof were added to this district which was renamed as Krishna district, after the mighty river Krishna. The main hill range of the district known as Kondapalli runs between Nandigama and Vijayawada with a length of about 24 Kms.
The other impart hills are Jammalavoidurgam, Mogalrajapuram and Indrakiladri hills. On the Indrakiladri hills at Vijayawada stands the famous temple of Kanakadurga. The chief rivers of the district are the Krishna (length 1,280 kms) Muniyeru (Muneru), the Tammileru and Budameru. Krishna river debouches in to the Bay of Bengal at Hamsala Divi and Nachugunta in this district. The district contains small hillstreams viz., Jayanthi, Kattaleru, Ippalavagu, Upputeru, Telleru, Ballaleru, Nadimeyeru.
The Majority of the people in Urban areas of Krishna district are engaged in trade and commerce. Agriculture is the most important occupation of the people of the district.
The District hosts many industries. KCP Sugar Factory at Vuyyur is one of the largest sugar plants in India. Vijayawada Thermal Power Station (VTPS) near Ibrahimpatnam is ranked as the No.1 Power generation unit in India for its high performance. Apart from this, many medium Scale Cement factories are there throughout the district. There are many small scale industries like musical instruments at Jaggayyapeta, gold-plated ornaments at Machilipatnam and Kondapalli toys. SIRIS Pharmaceutical Company at Vijayawada is another giant company manufacturing Allopathic medicines. The oldest port in Andhra Pradesh is at Machilipatnam.
Satavahana period (230 BC -227 AD): The Satavahanas ruled this region with headquarters at Srikaakulam. Prominent rulers during this period were Srimukha (founder), Goutamputra Satakarni and Yagnasri Satakarni (last Satavahan king). The Satavahanas imparted more stability and security to the life of the people of the region for more than four centuries.
Pallavas (500 AD - 340 AD): The Pallava kingdom spread over from Krishna river to Tungabhadra, including Amaravati in the East, Bellary in the West and Kancheepuram in the South with capital cities at venginagar near Ellore and Pithapuram, both in Vengidesa.
Bruhitpalayanas: The contemporaries of pallavas who ruled the district with Koduru as their capital.
Vishnukundinas (5th Century AD): The 5th century rulers who excavated cave temples at Mogalrajapuram (now in Vijayawada) and Undavalli, etc.
Eastern chalukyas (615 AD - 1070 AD): The entire Andhra country was under the control of a single ruler under their reign. The Eastern Chalukyas were credited with the excavations of the cave temple at Undavalli and rock cut shrines and Shiva temples.
Cholas: Cholas ruled this region with capital at Rajamahendri . It was during Rajarajanaredra's reign that Nannayya Bhattu translated the Mahabharata in to Telugu.
Kakatiyas: They ruled this region up to early 14th century with Orugallu as their capital.
Reddy dynasty : On the downfall of Pratapa Rudra of Kakatiya, the eldest son of Pulaya Vema Reddi found himself independent and established himself in the hill fort of Kondavedu. He also possessed himself of the fortress of Bellamkonda, Vinukonda and Nagarjuna konda in the Palanad. The Kondavidu Reddi’s were great patrons of Telugu literature. The poet Srinadha and his brother-in –law Bammera Pothana flourished at his court. The ruins of fortresses at Kondavidu, Ballamkonda and Kondapalli are still to be seen.
Gajapathis of Orissa: Kapileswara Gajapathi is preserved by the village Kapileswarapuram now in Pamidimukkala mandal. He was succeeded by Vidyadhara Gajapathi who built Vidyadharapuram (now in Vijayawada) and constructed a reservoir at Kondapalli.
Vijayanagara empire: Krishna devaraya of Vijayanagar conquered this region in early 16th century.
Qutb Shahis: In 1512, the Kingdom of Golconda or Hyderabad was founded by one Sultan Quli Qutub Shah. The Kingdom of Golconda included this district within its limits. Abu-l-Hussain Shah was the last of Qutab Shahi dynasty known as Tanisha. He had two ministers, both Brahmins, named Madanna and Akkanna. Popular tradition attributed this preference of Vijayawada to the devotion of the two ministers to the goddess Kanaka Durga.
Nizams: The Emperor Aurangazeb included this district in the province of Golconda, which remained under Asaf jah who was appointed as Subedar or Viceroy of the Deccan in 1713 with the title of Nizam-ul-Mulk. The province of Golconda comprised five Nawabs’ charges viz. Arcot, Cuddapah, Kurnool, Rajahmundry and Chicacole (Srikakulam). The Nawab of Rajahmundry ruled the country induced in the Krishna District.
The English: In the year 1611 the English founded their settlement at Masulipatnam which was their headquarters until they finally moved to Madras in 1641. The Dutch and French also had settlements at Masulipatnam. Upon the death of the old Nizam-ul-Mulk in June 1748 his heirs strove for the succession with the support of the English and the French. When Nizam Ali Khan was proclaimed ruler of Golconda in 1761 the British secured at first the divisions of Masulipatnam, Nizampatnam and part of Kondaveedu and later the entire Circars. At first the district was administered by a chief and council at Masulipatnam but in 1794 Collectors, directly responsible to the Board of Revenue, were appointed at Masulipatnam.
Kanaka Durga Temple: At the Kanakadurga temple, the enchanting 4-foot-high (1.2 m) icon of the deity is bedecked in glittering ornaments and bright flowers. She is shown eight arms, each holding a powerful weapon, in a standing posture over the demon Mahishashura and piercing him with her trident. The goddess is the epitome of beauty.
Adjacent to the Kanakadurga temple is the shrine of Malleswara Swamy on the Indrakiladri. By ascending the steps on the hill, one comes across little images of different deities, prominent among them are Kali, Shiva, and Krishna.
Historic places in the district include:
§ Bandar Port
§ Kondapalli Killa
§ Gandhi Hill
Religiously significant places include:
§ Kanaka Durga Temple
§ PandurangaSwamy Temple
§ Brahmam gari Jenda in Edupugallu
§ Penuganchiprolu Temple
§ Mopidevi Temple
§ Movva gopala swami temple
§ Kondalamma temple
§ Gollapudi Ayyappaswami Temple
§ Hanuman Temple in Hanuman Junction
§ Gunadala Matha Shrine
§ Sarswathi Devi Temple in Nuzvid