Adjacent to the Charminar is the Mecca Masjid, one of the largest historical mosques in the south. It is located a hundren yards southwest of the Charminar and was built by the sixth of the Qutub Shahu Kings in 1614. The Mughal king Aurangzeb completed the final finishing. It took 77 years to come up as the magnificent edifice we see today. Like many other ancient buildings in the city, the mosque is a granite giant with awe-inspiring innards. It is poetry in stone, with a hall measuring 67mts. And soaring to a height 54mts. The roof is supported by fifteen graceful arches-five to each of the three sides. The beautiful mosque can accommodate nearly 10,000 people at a time. Towards the southern end of the mosque lies the marble graves of Nizam Ali Khan and the families of Asaf Jahi dynasty. It is believed that Muhammed Quli commissioned bricks to be made from earth brought from Mecca and inducted them into the construction of the central arch of the mosque, which explains the name of the mosque.